Reflections on Chicago, Real Estate, and Life!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Comparing Home Values

Becoming a realtor has made me more aware of home pricing in different areas of Chicago and the suburbs. For instance, today I came across a new subdivision in Bourbonnais, IL., (some consider this a suburb of Chicago, others say it is too far away to be a "true suburb"), but anyways the brand new homes there are HUGE and inexpensive. Since my husband's business and family are located 55 miles away from our great city, I am often forced to make the hike to the middle of nowhere.

However, for a brief moment in this new subdivision, when I was walking through a 3000 square foot home for 250,000 dollars, I forgot that I was in the middle of a vast cornfield. "Wow," I thought to myself, "I can have this huge house, perfect for the large family that we desire, for the same amount that we will be paying for a small 2 bedroom condo in a less than desirable neighborhood in Chicago.

As I sat in the office/possible 5th bedroom, I began picturing our life in that house, a home larger than our parent's could ever have dreamed of. Then I began thinking how great it would be to be close to grandparents someday.......Then I forced myself to stop that train of thought, "Oh wait second, I know there is a catch to this idyllic situation. For one, I almost broke one of my life commandments, to never live within 30 miles of any in laws!" (That's a good one to have in my opinion).

As I walked down the double staircase into the grand foyer, it all started coming back to me. This is the middle of nowhere, there is nothing to do in the Kankakee metropolitan area, I am not a country girl ( I mean I definitely don't cook or clean or know how to do yard work), and I belong in Chicago!

Back to reality, the model home was pretty sweet, and it would be great home for someone, but not for me! Give me that 2 bedroom condo and a street spot and I am good to go.

P.S. If you are my mother-in-law and you are reading this, I am sorry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home