Reflections on Chicago, Real Estate, and Life!

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Father Knows Best

I decided that since I have written about practically everyone else in my life that I should include my father in one of my entries. After all, if I am to learn about sales from anyone, it should be my dad. He is a prime example of a natural salesman, and I don't mean this in a bad way, but it's true! Bob, as most of our friends and family know him, is always thinking of new ways to convince people to do something. For example, on Christmas, my dad gifted me with a real estate article to read, (right then and there of course, Bob waits for no man!). He even highlighted the sections that he felt were important, just so I wouldn't miss any key points. Bob never neglects to use his persuasive, nonnegotiable tone when trying to get his point across, (which I have picked up on over the years), so I decided it would be a wise choice to read the article right away!

In addition to his powerful demeanor, my dad also has some classic lines that he uses when conversing with clients, friends, relatives, or people he meets on the street. My personal favorite is a line that really sums up my dad's salesman like skills, which is when he simply states, "I made all the right moves." He said this after he talked with my former boss at my wedding, (notice the former part). After he had that lengthy conversation, Bob pretty much laid it all on the line for me. He was pretty elated when he reported back to me that I had received a rave review from my boss. Also, Bob made sure to let them know that I thought the world of them, (one of his sales techniques is to provide positive feedback). Unfortunately, that time the "moves" didn't work out, but there have several triumphs for my dad, IE: whenever he lands a new contract at work.

Basically, I feel that I do have a great sales role model to look up to, even though there may be a hint of sarcasm in this piece, (as usual). I always know that my dad will be able to provide me with solid sales advice, and although it may be harsh at times, it can be refreshing to have an honest perspective on one's career moves. Also, I can look forward to a constant stream of reading material coming my way. What more can a girl ask for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home